Book Review: Trapped



Title: Trapped
Subtitle: Tales of Friendship Bog #3
Author: Gloria Repp
Genre: Children's Fiction


My 8 year old daughter Sydney was thrilled when I told her that I had a children's book to review.  She knows that I have reviewed books on my blog,  so when I told her that I needed her help to review the latest book that I received in the mail, she was so excited! 

Sydney and I read the book together before bed.  The book has 12 chapters and we read 4 chapters a night for a total of 3 nights.  We decided that I would read the book aloud to her even though she was capable of reading the book herself.  She said that she wanted me to read it so that she could "concentrate harder on the book."  She took her "job" as a book reviewer very seriously.



Trapped is the third book in the series: Tales of Friendship Bog.  We did not read the first two books in the series.  That did not stop us from being able to read and enjoy this third book.  I am sure that prior knowledge from the first two books would have been helpful but not necessary to read this third book in the series.

The setting for the book is the Friendship Bog.  The characters are the animals, such as frogs, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes and foxes that reside in the bog. 

Sydney absolutely loved this book.  She was enamored with the characters since they were animals that spoke. She liked the idea of imagining that frogs, squirrels and chipmunks in our own backyard may actually talk to each other!  

She liked that the book was a mystery.  At the end of each chapter she made predictions about what she thought would happen next.  She also enjoyed the illustrations that appeared every few pages.  She said it helped her to picture the characters in her mind.

I interviewed Sydney after we finished the book:

Me: What did you like most about the book?

Sydney: Everything!  

Me: Can you be more specific?

Sydney: I liked that the animals talked and that there was a mystery to be solved.

Me: Who was your favorite character?

Sydney: Cheeco.  I thought he was funny.

Me: What was your favorite part?

Sydney: When the mystery was solved.  Mom, don't give away the ending on your blog.

Me: Would you tell your friends to read this book?

Sydney:  Yes!  I think boys and girls would like it especially if they like animals and a mystery.

Me: Anything else you want to say that you liked about the book?

Sydney:  I loved that the author autographed the book for me!

I also enjoyed the book.  Many times when I read a book to Sydney I am bored by it. This was not the case with this book.  I was also entertained and I loved the author's descriptive writing.    I hope to have the opportunity to read the first two books in the series with my daughter.

You can read more information about the Friendship Bog on the author's website at http://gloriarepp.com/childrens_books/



5 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower from this weeks hop! Very nice to meet you!

    I wish you a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet way to do a child's book review. Well done Sydney and Momma!

    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun review! Please thank Sydney for sharing with us! My daughter, Maggie, is the 8 year old who does book reviews on Desperate Homeschoolers. I'll share your daughter's review with her and my other daughters tomorrow. They will love it!
    Tina @ Mommynificent

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic review and congrats to Gloria for such a wonderful story, and a middle grade mystery too, my favourite. We just loved Sydney's review and hope she becomes a regular on Mom's blog he he. Thanks for linking in to the Kid Lit Blog Hop. Cheers Julie Grasso (Hostess)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review! I love getting to hear about books directly from kids!
    Thanks for sharing this with the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS